There are many ways one can take their notes. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. When I first joined the studyblr community I just looked at endless YouTube videos and Tumblr posts on how to study, how to take notes etc. I tried different methods and in this post I will give a brief rundown of all the various mediums through which you can store your notes.
PS: I have posted this on Tumblr before. So this is not plagiarism. I have written it before
Notebooks are great. You can get in so many different colors, styles and rules. I mean they can be really amazing. They are so many choices and storing them is easy. You don’t have to be on the top of the game to maintain them.
- Maintaining is easy
- Notes are consolidated
- Many different styles are available
- Carrying them individually is easy
- Editing untidy notes is difficult
- A separate notebook has to be maintained for each class
- Carrying many notebooks everyday is hard.
Why do I like or not like them:
I don’t like them. I’m in highschool. I have 6 subjects and each subject I have everyday. My school doesn’t have lockers and I walk back from school. AND I have to carry these huge textbooks for each subject. Pretty self explanatory why I don’t like them.
Good choice for people who:
- Don’t rewrite their notes
- Bad at organization
- Don’t need to edit their notes often
- Can carry only 3 notebooks everything. (Anymore and you can as well carry a mountain)
2. BINDERS/ EXPANDABLE FILES
All loose leaf paper goes here. Decoration and organization freaks can and will have field days with them. Add, subtract and rewrite notes at your own free will. This thing is your baby and do whatever you want to do with it.
- Adding and rewriting notes is very easy
- Various tabs and inserts can be added with easy
- Multiple subject notes can be kept in one binder
- Can be used and re used until it falls apart
- You should be at the top of your organizing
- If all subject notes are kept in one binder then it can get very bulky.
Why I like or don’t like them:
I like them. The reason I don’t like notebooks drove me try out binders. The binder system is not used at all at school level in India but I tried them out and go it helps me sooooo much. We really don’t get handouts and the only classes where I have to take consistent notes are Math and Accountancy. Most of the note taking is done at home with the help of various sources. Hence I have one1.5 inch binder which I carry to school for the Accountancy and Math classes and all my other notes are maintained in a 4″ binder. I do have separate 4″ binders for Accountancy and Math but I will explain this organizational method of mine in another text post.
Good choice for people who:
- Don’t want to carry multiple notebooks.
- Regularly update previous notes
- Do mostly self studying
- Use various sources for note taking
Our live savers. In today’s day and age we students have lots of academic materials on our laptops. We carry them around everywhere and can upload our notes to the cloud. Editing, adding, subtracting notes is very easy here and for us, typing is also very fast. BUT if you use this method to keep your notes, make sure you print them out. Reading your notes straight from the laptop is bad bad bad.
- Adding notes is easiest in this form.
- We can upload them to the cloud.
- All the study material is in one place
- No need to spend money on various stationery. ( This is a major con for us studyblrs. Just saying)
- You need to print them out. Hence another chore.
- You need to print them out. Hence another expense.
- Storing these prints outs has to be done.
- If not uploaded to the cloud and you forget to save them… Yikes I will feel bad for you.
Why I like them or not like them:
I like them, I have to take soooooo many notes for my business and economics classes. One of my chapters which I had wrote took over 20 A4 size pages. After that nightmare was over I decided to switch to typing my notes for these two classes and also for English. OH MY GOD, it has saved me so much time and editing and making them pretty is also not very difficult. I LOVE YOU EVERNOTE. MAY OUR RELATIONSHIP BE THIS AMAZING TILL THE TIME IM NOT DONE WITH MY MASTERS.
Good for those who:
- Have lots to take notes
- Have a printer nearby
- Have internet access.
- Who are allowed to use their computer in the school premises
Well, this was the brief rundown for all the various ways you can store your notes. I hope this way helpful to you all. Do not hesitate to message me if you are still having difficulty in deciding which method to apply. Remember you can use different methods for different classes.
Best of luck and procrastinate on tumblr study hard